After getting the permit from HDB, your registered renovation contractor must display the Notice of Renovation Work outside your flat until all your renovation is completed.
Your registered renovation contractor is also required to keep your neighbours [ a minimum of two neighbouring flats surrounding your flat] informed of the renovation [including works which do not require a renovation permit eg. relaxed renovation items, any carpentry works] by serving them a notice. Such notice must be served at least 3 days in advance before the commencing of any renovation.
Responsibility and Rules
You are responsible for the activities in your flat. Please ensure that the work carried out by your registered contractor is according to HDB’s requirements. The engagement of the HDB Registered Contractors is strictly on a private basis between the flat owners and the contractors and HDB is not privy to the contract. If there is any dispute between flat owners and contractors on the pricing, work schedule, type and quality of the renovation, both parties would have to resolve the matter amicably between themselves. If they cannot settle the matter amicably, both parties could seek assistance through CASE or the Small Claims Tribunals. Alternatively, they could seek remedy through court proceedings.
Timings for Carrying Out Renovation
Please note that general renovation can be carried out only between 8.00 am and 6.00 pm daily.
- Noisy renovation such as demolition of walls, removing wall/ floor finishes, cutting of tiles and drilling works, etc. are restricted from 9.00am to 5.00pm daily during weekdays.
- Noisy renovation is not allowed to be carried out on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays
- If you are carrying out noisy Do-It-Yourself (DIY) household installations, please avoid doing these works during early hours of the morning or at night so as not to cause disturbance to your neighbours.
Use of Tools
Your renovation contractor is allowed to use not more than 2 HDB Approved Hand-held Power Tools or their equivalent at any one time to demolish walls and/or removal of wall/ floor finishes.
Such work must be completed within 3 consecutive days. The list of approved tools is also available at HDB Branches.
Completion of Renovation Work
All the work must be completed within one month for existing blocks and three months for new blocks from the date of the renovation permit. Upon completion, please remember to inform the HDB Branch managing your flat immediately.
Advisory Note on Crime Prevention For Flat Units Undergoing Renovation
Flat owners can take the following crime prevention measures when their flats are undergoing renovation :
- Use good quality locks e.g. close-shackled locks instead of number locks to secure the flat.
- Do not leave home appliances in your flat during the period. Arrangements for the delivery of such items should be made after you have moved in and renovation have been completed.
HDB InfoWEB: Pointers for Home Owners : Living in HDB flats : Home Renovation. 2013. HDB InfoWEB: Pointers for Home Owners : Living in HDB flats : Home Renovation. [ONLINE] Available at:http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/HomeRenoSupervise?OpenDocument. [Accessed 26 September 2013].