Popular & Common Types of Tiles used for Renovation in Singapore
The types of commonly used tiles and their characteristics:
Homogeneous / Porcelain Tiles
- Most renovation quotations or packages will also state homogeneous tile for flooring.
- Tough material.
- Most suitable for floor or wall.
- recommended joint is between 1.5mm to 2mm
- Wide variety of colours to choose from.
- Able to create different look and feel.
- Reasonable and affordable price for its material quality and range. ( $2.10 to $15.00 )
- whiter colours cost will be slightly more than the colored ones
- Commonly used in the 1980s to 1990s.
- Older houses or HDB usually use ceramic tile.
- Clay based material
- Suitable for wall.
- Usage as floor tile is less preferred and uncommon nowadays.
- Beautiful designer surfaces.
- Marbles are originated from a limestone.
- Luxurious and naturally detailed
- adds glamour to any living space
- its dense structure makes it ideal for frequently-used areas
- Resistance to fire and erosion.
- Popular in hallways and bathrooms
- Mostly used as wall tile in Shopping Centers.
- Its a type of rock that is form from cooling and solidification of lava.
- Extremely strong & tough
- Scratch Resistant
- Can be seen at Singapore Changi airport Terminal 3 floors
- Good to have if you have the budget to spare.
- Uniform Patterns & Designs
- It is made up of small pieces of material, e.g. ceramic, glass or porcelain, into patterns & design.
- Usually very colorful with beautiful patterns.
- Mainly used as wall tiles.
- Easy to maintain
- Add Value to your apartment
- Non-porous, waterproof and chemical safe once installed and sealed
- Hygenic – Germs and bacteria cannot feed or live on mosaic tile making it safe for all areas of the home